Sunday, July 12, 2015

Flying into Sitka...


Many of you know, I love to travel... but I don't love to fly. I was excited to be back in Seattle especially since it was the first time flying in and seeing Mt. Rainier! I was a little nervous, but I talked to some people in the airport saying it wasn't bad flying into Sitka (they said its better than Juneau)--- just google Sitka Airport... Very smooth, two hour flight to Sitka until the landing. The pilot came on saying we will be on the ground in five minutes. I'm thinking... "I have made it!" Little did I know I saw water, and the guy across the aisle said "we should have taken a left a the light back there" as we could see the runway on the left and were speeding back up in the air. I was a little anxious at this point, but all the funny guys who were going on a fishing trip were keeping me entertained. About fifteen minutes later, the pilot came back on saying, "well as you know we didn't hit the landing strip and are going to try again". It was 600 foot floor which means the clouds were very low. We circled the airport and were waiting to see if the Alaskan Air could land. I was flying Delta who just started flying here in June. As we approached the attempt, we were told if we don't land we will go to Ketchikan which is about an hour flight to refuel and try later. The flight attendants then said keep you fingers crossed.... NOT something I wanted to hear. HAHA. We landed and the breaks went screeching! We got to the end of the runway and there was about 20 more yards left (as they just ended the runway not long ago I was told). I was on the ground and in ALASKA! Most beautiful airport, even in the rain! I met my supervisor Ryan. He gave me a short tour of Sitka, took me to the grocery store (the most scenic I've ever been too), and then to housing. I was tired after my 13 hour travel day.

View from the plane flying over Southeast Alaska


Flying into Sitka, Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment